Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nemasis Darkshadow

re: Nemasis Intro

'ello Paxians, 

I've applied to join you all on my SWTOR main (Nemasis Darkshadow). My MMO gaming started in 2003 with Star Wars Galaxies then Star Trek Online in 2010 then SWTOR at launch in 2011. During slow periods I've delved into Marvel Heroes and GTA Online but SWTOR is my primary game.

Even the name of my main comes from my SWG days. Prior to SWG the game I played for years was X-wing vs Tie Fighter where I competed with a team for years and got the nickname Shadow as I was almost impossible to shake off your tail. In SWG that name was taken so I tried to be "creative" and tried Darkshadow as my first character was going to be an Imperial however, that was also taken. I tried to get even more "creative" and tried Irish Darkshadow because I live in Ireland, I'm known as Shadow and I'm gonna be a nasty Imperial. Little did I realise that the game worked off first name rather than last name and so I spent years being referred to as Irish (still was up until a few months ago). That first character was a crafter and a few months into SWG our city was attacked by a rebel who camped in our base and slaughtered every who logged in for hours. That prompted me to get a second SWG account to create a combat character. I decided to be devious about it and I created a commando but aligned him as a rebel so I could infiltrate the guild of the guy who terrorised our city. I thought Nemesis was a good name for such a character and I carried that tradition over into SWTOR (with a slight spelling change). My first character was an imperial juggernaut tank (Irish) and my second was a trooper (Nemasis). Now I have twenty three of them on the server and need a large spreadsheet tracker to keep it all straight!

Back to real life though where I've worked in the IT industry since 1995 wearing a number of different hats starting at PC building moving into tech support then getting into IT services roles in problem management / critical situation handling and most recently doing software development and management. Currently I'm doing freelance IT consultancy but I dip back into old roles when those companies request help.

In terms of the social part of gaming the main community that I've been with has been Jupiter Force starting in 2010 and ending just three months ago. During that time I went from member to guild leader and dealt with all of the organisational stuff and drama handling that comes with a community that peaked around 450 members and was at around 120 when I left. Some of the areas I got involved with included the admin side of the vBulletin forums, the Teamspeak server and any other guild "resources" that popped up over time. I was heavily involved in video podcasting with the guild and picked up some handy Adobe Premier / After Effects / Audition skills as a result which I still find uses for. 

Being based on a US SWTOR server but stuck in GMT as a time zone makes group activities difficult to do with any consistency and finding raiding teams has always been awkward for me as a result. I raid when I can and at this point I've successfully completed all raids on story mode as a dps and a tank while I've done hard mode of each raid up to Terror From Beyond.

My primary SWTOR activity at the moment is getting my crafting skills to 550 on every character, completing the star fortress missions on one character per faction, running heroics to get some credits, playing the GTN for credits and trying to gear each of my toons to a minimum average gear rating of 216. I'm kinda cheating on the gearing bit by having legacy bound suits where I apply set bonuses allowing me to swap those suits to alts as that saves me having to loot multiple copies of a specific set bonus piece. 

Hopefully that gives you plenty of meat to dig into at the outset here.

Nemasis Darkshadow

Character: Nemasis

Class: Trooper / Commando / Gunnery

Average Gear Rating: 218.38

Set Bonus: 6 piece

Ciervo Wylde
Officer

Awarded:

Nice to meet you Nemasis!  There are several of us that work in the IT Arena. Any good stories from the trenches?

Awarded:

Welcome welcome!  I also keep a spreadsheet to keep track of my alts, haha

There is a video podcast over at Jupiter Broadcasting called TechSNAP that I submitted my best "war stories" to a few years back. Two senior members of the guild I was in were the main hosts and they got a kick out of some of the tales from tech. My personal favourite is this one but be prepared, it's a long one...(insert that's what she said comment here)...

I was running a problem management / critical situations team for a huge multi-national IT company at the time in 2003 I believe. There was a company wide celebration party for an anniversary that evening and I had the on call emergency phone so I became the de facto designated driver. A couple of hours into the festivities and I was at the bar to pick up a round where I ran into the on call manager for that evening and quickly noticed that she was partaking in some alcohol consumption which pissed me off at first but she advised me that a few drinks wouldn't be much of an issue and things had been quiet on the crit sit front all week. I followed her lead and switched over to having a few pints over the course of the rest of the evening and arranged for a replacement driver. The rest of the evening went very well and we all headed home around 3am. I was due into work at 8am so it was going to be one of those quick turnaround "mornings". 

Somewhere around 4:20am the emergency phone started to ring. Once I figured out how to answer the damn thing I was informed by a tech support agent that a manager in the US had called our site asking to speak to the IT director (who was the on call manager's manager). The agent needed my approval to contact the on call manager to get her to then contact the director. I gave her the approval and planked my head back down onto the pillow. I entertained the thought that it was all over and then that little IT alarm in my brain starting putting bad thoughts to the forefront of my mind. I decided that it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go get a coffee and see if any more calls came through...just in case. 

With a warm coffee in my hand I sank into the sofa and switched on the news only to be greeted with "Eastern US seaboard suffers massive power outage". At that point only four letter expletives came to mind. Almost that same instant the emergency phone rang again and the agent informed me that the on call manager wasn't answering her phone. I tried to call her myself and had the same problem which probably meant that she was passed out drunk and / or was ignoring the phone. I bit the bullet and bypassed her and contact the IT director myself. During that conversion she informed me that she had already been contacted by management on the US side and she was heading in to the office. She requested that I do likewise. I wasn't drunk by any means but I was not going to drive to work. I tried to get a taxi but no car could get to me for 45 mins which was useless so I had to go back upstairs, wake up my girlfriend and convince her to drive me to work...needless to say that conversation had repercussions later on but at least I had a safe way to get to the office. 

Once I made it to the office the magnitude of the problem became apparent as there were 5 US sites (even though 1 was in Canada) that were without power. That meant that within a few hours our site in Dublin would have to "go live" and take calls routed from the unavailable site. The primary problem there was that it would require us to get our staff into our building some 90 mins before they were expected to be at work. That was going to mean a lot of calls to our people in the middle of the night, a lot of taxi rides arranged and various other logistical nightmares. We started prepping for those eventualities while calls with US managers continued to see if any other options were possible. The best possible solution was to get the Canadian site onto emergency power via their diesel generator which would negate the need for our site to do anything. During the call my few remaining active brain cells prompted me to ask a potentially stupid question - "why didn't your generator kick in when the power went off?". I was then left dumbfounded when they informed us that there was no diesel in the diesel generator and nobody noticed until it failed to kick in. 

The new priority became finding a way to get diesel to that generator. They arranged for a tanker to come out but it would take an hour to arrive. We agreed to have another call at that point to assess progress and to make the go / no go decision on dragging our Dublin staff in early. The hour passed, we were on the con call but nobody from the Canadian site joined. Another 20 mins passed and still no Canadians. I hunted out a mobile phone number for one of their managers and when he answered I could hear the noise of a truck near him. He explained that they were having some difficulty getting the diesel tanker into the generator compound and as such they hadn't begun filling up the generator yet. Those pesky brain cells piped up again and prompted me to ask - "what's the problem with getting the tanker to the generator exactly?". 

Upon hearing the response I wished that I had never asked the question. "Er...eh...well you see....the gate to the compound....well, it's electric!". The emergency plans for these situations are mapped out in detail and reviewed multiple times before being set out as the procedures to be followed and yet somehow the one slight detail that the gate to an emergency diesel generator was electrically powered thus isolating that generator from being accessed during a power outage never dawned on anyone involved.

They eventually just broke down the electric gate and fence and got the generator running in time to avoid our staff having to be dragged in early. The sequence of unlikely events, poor decisions and damn near Benny Hill style antics on the Canadian site that night made me both simultaneously love and hate the whole problem management side of IT support. 

I paid the price though, I didn't get to leave work that day until 3pm by which point I was so tired that I slept in my office slumped over my desk until it was time to start work again the next morning.

Care Bears

Hey! You didn't play on any other servers did you? I remember one on JC or POT5 I think. Not sure if your the same one tho!

Snuggle Bears wrote:

Hey! You didn't play on any other servers did you? I remember one on JC or POT5 I think. Not sure if your the same one tho!

Nope, I doubt that was me. I've only got characters on Ebon Hawk. The STO guild I was with back before SWTOR launched pre-registered and were assigned to Ebon Hawk so I've never gone anywhere else.

I have been told that it being a PvE-RP server actually detracts from how good the top end PvE players are but I'm not sure how true that really is. I've seen some amazing raiders over the years on Ebon Hawk and probably would have seen more if I was not GMT based.

Care Bears

ohh okay. I used to play with a Nemasis on JC. Wasn't sure if you were him :)

Snuggle Bears wrote:

ohh okay. I used to play with a Nemasis on JC. Wasn't sure if you were him :)

I know of another guy on Ebon Hawk who has a character called Nemesis so maybe that guy got shafted on JC and had to change the spelling. That's always fun when you do a server transfer and get forced to do some Witness Protection stuff with your identity.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Applications and Introductions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum