View previous topic :: View next topic  
Z'inn
Member - 1 Year

re: Half-Life's lone writer has left Valve after 18 years

Half-Life's lone writer has left Valve after 18 years

What does this mean for Half-Life 3?

Marc Laidlaw, co-creator and sole writer of the Half-Life franchise, has resigned from his position at Valve. He had worked at the Bellevue-based developer for 18 years at the time of his departure.

The news comes as a result of a reddit user emailing Laidlaw about his frustrations over the currently-unannounced Half Life 3. Laidlaw responded by saying that he quit Valve recently and no longer acts as a spokesperson of any sort for the company. Laidlaw says that he quit for personal reasons, mostly so that he can focus on "self-directed writing projects."

In addition to the reddit post, Gamasutra followed up with Laidlaw and can confirm the authenticity of the report. Laidlaw simply said "It is true. I left very recently," when prompted by Gamasutra.

The question on most people's mind likely revolves around how Laidlaw's departure affects the possible development of Half-Life 3 or any other Half-Life sequels. The short, easy answer is, perhaps, that it doesn't. Writing is often a collaborative effort and one resignation won't often sink the ship. If Half-Life 3 is in the works, Laidlaw could have already written it; otherwise, the studio is teeming with creative minds who could probably fill those shoes and give us the next chapter in Gordon Freeman's saga. Valve just needs to give the green light.

gluefoot
Veteran

I don't think this'll be a huge blow for HL3 (whenever it does show up, I stopped holding my breath a looooooong time ago). What mostly appealed to me about the Half-Life series was its excellent use of the Source engine, and the environments and gameplay it facilitated. Sure, setting is partly based on what the writer wants, a writer's work should never be the core element of the game. It should be a constant collaboration. Story should feed into gameplay and vice-versa.

That being said, it's always said to see a great creative mind leave an awesome studio.

"Did I fire six shots or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever."

Z'inn
Member - 1 Year

Half- Life is one of my all time favorite games

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: