View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion - SPOILERS INSIDE

I created this place for us to discuss The Force Awakens. Please don't post in GroupMe or in game anything about the movie that might give out any story details at all. Try and keep that content here.

So my first spoiler...the movie starts out with blue text...followed by scrolling yellow text. ;-)

Officer

1st week: $687,546,099.87

Roughly.

Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

HOLY SHIT I loved it.  I thought some of the attempts at comedy were too forced (not meant to be a pun) but I thought it really captured the best of Star Wars. 

Kayllek Veran
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

I will add to this tomorrow, but here are my first reactions.

It was Episode IV remade.  I kinda expected that since Disney is now "rebooting" the series and they need a good foundation.  Having the story line reflect that of the original now gives us hope that Disney will stay true to what "Star Wars" really is.  No Jar Jar, but real action and the fight between good and evil. 

Now, with a new mission (Luke Skywalker), Disney can start on a new theme or story arc that will be unique to them and different from the Lucas Saga.

I wasn't disappointed, nor underwhelmed, but I wasn't Overwhelmed nor satisfied.  I'm hungry for more.  I felt like I just watched Episode IV again, but with a modern tech twist.  I left happy because we have a new galaxy so to speak to look forward to and I can't wait for the next.  I'm now angry and depressed that I have to wait 2 years for the next.

There was plenty of comedy, not forced, but most of it wasn't "Star Wars."  That was Disney shining through.  I don't mind it, but it definitely stood out.  "I'm part of the Resistance, yeah, I'm Resistance.  Yeah, this is Resistance.  This is what we look like.  The Resistance"

I will add more tomorrow as I am exhausted.

First of all, I'm going to avoid that irritating text trick where you have to mouse over content to read it.  If people clicked on this thread, they are already signing on for spoilers. 

The good: Force Awakens met my high expectations. The action scenes were fantastic. The different planets/settings were majestic and I thought the dialogue was mostly smooth. The acting was great: Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher had a great chemistry, as did Rey and Finn.   I had forgotten what these movies can be like when you have great actors and give them a good script!   Also, the lack of CGI in the special effects was noticeable and wonderful.

The bad: not much to complain about here.  As noted before, a couple attempts at humor didn't quite hit a chord, but even the humor was generally handled well, especially when Solo and Chewie were the ones handling it.  I thought the sudden disappearance and reappearance of Poe could have been handled better in the plot.  Would have liked to see more of Luke, but I understand that they are setting up a universe here, and complete closure in one movie is impossible.  Other than that, I have no complaints.

I went home from the theater last night and could hardly sleep processing it all.  My only concern is that I was also excited after Phantom Menace and it took a couple days of processing to make me realize what a pile of shit that movie was.  I hope that doesn't happen here.  It probably won't...I think Force Awakens is more in the company of Episode IV and V, and is miles ahead of those godawful prequels.   

Brandon-jinn
Brandonjinn
Member - 4 Years

I did very much enjoy it. Liked the Depth of the characters and the over all pace of the film. The one major thing that may end up bugging me is that I felt Rey's powers developed so quickly/conveniently but I am wondering if this is meant to be a statement as to how strong with the force she is. I feel like it Left me wanting more which is awesome! I wonder if people will complain about the ending but I would imagine Empire did the same thing back in the day. I wish for fun I could just see how much Mark Hamill made for his performance in this movie... Also saber fighting in the snowy forest was fantastic!

P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I saw some easter eggs

• Fin's designation was FN-2187 - Princess Leia was in cell 2187 on the Death Star in Episode 4.
  • I think SCORPIO was in the cantina.
  • Rey's speeder looks like one from SWTOR but I can't think of the model.
  • Finn pulled the training remote out of a bag when he was trying to patch up Chewie

I'm sure there was more but those jumped out at me the most.

Last edited by PolishRifle on December 18, 2015 10:07 am; edited 2 times in total

P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

The only thing I had an issue with was that they kept talking about their fleet being based at the planet and could have been destroyed but they sent less fighters against the weapon in Episode 7 than they did against the Death Star.  What happened to the fleet from RoTJ?

Also, when Han confronts Kylo on the catwalk did he yell "Ben" or "Ren?"

Tastierkakes
Tastierkakes
Officer

I was wondering about the Ben/Ren thing myself.  

In terms of the fleet, the way I understood the dialogue was that the republic fleet was elsewhere and not available for that battle (for whatever reason), and so the Resistance was on their own against the first order base.  Perhaps it relates to the impression I got that the Republic was only supporting the Resistance in secret and so could not openly commit their fleet to supporting the Resistance.  Something in the speech of the first order commander gave me this impression, but I could be wrong.

P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Good call, I guess they were in the First Order territory so them being the "resistance" works but they have government backing from overseas

Kayllek Veran
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

PolishRifle wrote:

I saw some easter eggs

• I think SCORPIO was in the cantina.
  • Finn pulled the training remote out of a bag when he was trying to patch up Chewie

Noticed these too!  I immediately recognized the remote!

In regards to Rey's powers:  I think she's Luke's daughter.  Shawn and I both agree on this point.  There's plenty of evidence that points to it.  

- Luke's lightsaber call out to HER

- Kylo knows her, hence why he keeps asking "What Girl?!" in such a rage and wants her found.  He may feel her through the Force, but there's something more there.

- She's a great pilot (Luke being #1 in the Alliance)

- Parents left her on Jakku (Mother?  And Luke leaves to go into exile)

While it's not a lot, it definitely stands out.  If she was related to Han and Leia, I'm sure that they would've said something.  It would be very out-of-character of them to leave her on Jakku.

ALSO, this all points to the meaning of the title, "The Force Awakens!"  The Force is carried through the Skywalker family.  It lives on, and it "awakens" through their offspring, Kylo and (Rey?).

I'm going on a trip tonight, but I will add to even more stuff tomorrow.

Awarded:

And no, it's "Ben Solo."  He took on the sur-name "Ren" after joining the Knights of Ren.  Leia mentions the name Ben near the end talking to someone, idr

Awarded:

I don't know where I'm leaning with Rey.  Part of me thinks they stuck with the Han and Leia having twins from the EU.  Han was a great pilot and Rey is also still a descendant of Anakin Skywalker so the lightsaber still would call out to her.

Following your thoughts for Luke being her dad, maybe they'll introduce Mara Jade as her mother and she was left with Mara's former smuggler/pirate connections on Jakku.  Mara could have still been killed by Kylo when the Knights of Ren came to power if they mirror some of the EU stuff.

P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I have the movie poster as my desktop background and as I was looking at it I realized the super weapon was a horrible design.  Its built into the planet which I assume rotates daily and orbits the star in the system

HOW DO YOU AIM THAT?  Could they only target planets when they were in direct LOS?

Agriaan

Kayllek, you summed up my thoughts perfectly.  Not underwhelmed, but not completely satisfied.  I did enjoy it, and am looking forward to the next few episodes.

I think this movie was a good attempt at trying to keep fans connected and intrigued, while at the same time bringing in a new generation of fans.  I can't wait to take my wife (who has never seen Star Wars) and kids.  I think this movie was perfectly designed to be a starting point for people who are newer to the franchise. 

My biggest complaint was about the crowd I saw the movie with.  The sneers and derision were totally distracting, and I had to work hard to not let the fanboi jerks all around me spoil what I thought of the movie.

Oh, and I totally missed SCORPIO.  I'll have to look for her on the next viewing.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: