View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Kayllek Veran
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

re: WTB New Graphics Card: Suggestions?

I need to pick up a new Graphics Card, better sooner than later, and with Black Friday/ Cyber Monday, I thought I might be able to snag a few deals.  

Basically, Graphics are mainly gonna be strained by games, Battlefront/ SWTOR, but I want to be able to run Battlefront smoothly on full graphics or at least pretty darn close to it.  Suggestions?

Awarded:

My GeForce GTX  650 Ti  runs SWTOR and Battlefront full speed pretty much, and it's a generation or two old so could be cheap.  I guess go anything better than that.

Awarded:

Haven't played Battlefront yet but my MSI r9-270 runs fallout 4 on Ultra very smoothly and handles SWTOR on max setting no problem.  I think it runs at 966 out of the box but I used MSI software to OC it to 1050.  They usually run in the 175-200 range.  

Dordrac
Member - 1 Year

Awarded:

If you're not against paying a decent amount ($300) a 970 is a really good card and will easily get you 60 ( maybe closer to 100 actually ) fps at max settings more than likely. It's actually a decent amount powerful than the 780 I bought two years ago for $550. Also a 970 will probably give you way better performance in SWTOR as well assuming your CPU is also decent. It will also allow you to run pretty much any game out right now as well.

Kayllek Veran
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

Looking at a MSI GeForce GTX 750Ti      http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemNumber=N82E16814127783

Fits what I need right now, plus a nice budget card.  Only downside might be the 2 GB, but that's something I can live with and should manage with my CPU.  

Thoughts?  I'm really leaning towards this right now and will probably order it tonight.

Awarded:

DX12 compatible, PCI-E 3.0, decent price... I would say go for it.

Awarded:

Remember that the human eye can only discern 60 FPS so anything over that is just gravy :)

120 fps required for active shutter 3d glasses as each frame is for an alternate eye, so each separate eye receives 60 fps. 

Kayllek Veran
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

Iceroid wrote:

120 fps required for active shutter 3d glasses as each frame is for an alternate eye, so each separate eye receives 60 fps. 

woah man...   Science

I run a gtx 970, its a pretty solid upgrade over the 700 series cards. 

Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

I also run the GTX 970 and love it. I went from a SLI setup with 2 video cards and the single 970 blows away my old setup. I can run Battlefront and SWTOR at pretty much max settings.

Thanks for all the info. I'm in the market for a new video card, as well. Gonna hit up Frys Electronics this weekend if I see a good one on sale. Basically my old card crashes about twice a day and I can't even download new drivers for it, so I don't even want to try Battlefront on my computer until I can get a better one.

Kénpachi-zaraki

Would anyone happen to know if a XFX Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-bit GDDR5 would be a good gaming card? I found one for $299, which is cheaper than the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 at $329. I thought the 512-bit would be better than the 256-bit, but then I heard Nvidia cards were better because they don't overheat as much and games can run on them right away, while other cards can't run until patches come out. Any thoughts?

P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I never had to wait for a patch on my MSI R9-270.  I also previously had and XFX GeForce card and never had an issue with it either.  I just prefer MSI now since they made my motherboard and pairing an MSI graphics card with it allows for a little more OC potential (at least they advertise it that way, not sure how true it really is).  It also adds to the aesthetics of my case with the Black/Red color scheme and red LED lighted fans.

I'll probably add a second R9-270 in SLI to my setup before making a big jump to a higher end single card.

Kénpachi-zaraki

PolishRifle wrote:

I never had to wait for a patch on my MSI R9-270.  I also previously had and XFX GeForce card and never had an issue with it either.  I just prefer MSI now since they made my motherboard and pairing an MSI graphics card with it allows for a little more OC potential (at least they advertise it that way, not sure how true it really is).  It also adds to the aesthetics of my case with the Black/Red color scheme and red LED lighted fans.

I'll probably add a second R9-270 in SLI to my setup before making a big jump to a higher end single card.

Awesome, we have the same color scheme on our computers haha :) Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to decide but that 512-bit card is sounding right for me, and if I need to I could probably sell it on ebay for about the same price I bought it for.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: