View previous topic :: View next topic  
P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

re: Halloween Cosplay Question

This year my eldest daughter, almost 4, said she wanted to be Ahsoka Tano for Halloween.  Needless to say it warmed my heart and I began making a wire frame mold for the Lekku (I know that's for Twi'leks but I don't know what else to call them).  

She then told me I had to be Anakin with her, so I was looking into a high quality costume that I could use for Halloween at work, costume parties, Comic-Cons, Disney etc. and have it narrowed down to two.  The first is a true Anakin costume with the brown robe/pants/undershirt and black tabbards, the other is more traditional white shirt/tabbard a la Obi-Wan

I'm pretty sure my daughter will be happy as long as I have a blue lightsaber but what to you guys think about the two options?  The tailor I found that makes these is pretty spot on in terms of the coloring/style although I'm sure the fabric isn't exact.

Tastierkakes
Tastierkakes
Officer

I guess I'm a traditionalist, but I prefer the classic brown Obi-wan robes.  They are a more distinct image of a jedi to me.  

Kimia
Nokinoki_SW
Member - 3 Years

My daughter loves Ahsoka as well! Somebody there knew what they were doing, I don't think the show would be nearly as interesting to her if it didn't have Ahsoka in it.

Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

I am a member of the Rebel Legion and actually have a traditional Jedi costume and an Anakin style costume. If the wants you to be Anakin, then I'd go that rout. Also, Anakin is her Jedi Master so...being her dad...that kind of still works. The only thing with the Anakin one is that you will pay more for the leather tabbards unless you go with pleather. In the long run, the leather costs more but will last longer.

I love both of my costumes but the one thing I like about the Anakin one is that it doesn't get stained as easily. If you wear the lighter one to any costume party where people are drinking...you run the risk of stuff getting spilled on it. I wear both of mine but probably wear the Anakin style more often. I have the wig, glove and the correct Lightsaber but I often just go as a generic Jedi without the wig and glove.

Here's a pic of me just before marching in the Disney Star Wars Weekends parade. If you want any help with where to get some really good quality stuff made, let me know. I know a great costume shop based out of California. They are super awesome people and do great work. They made everything fabric wise except the boots. I got those boots custom made from a guy in Peru. The boots are another thing I'd suggest paying extra for. Cheap $50 boots will last one event but will fall apart after that. Spend $150-$200 on the boots and they will last for 10-15 years...if not longer.

Oh and one more thing...the true colors of Anakin's costume are a dark chocolate brown. His robe is also a very dark brown. In low light it can look black, but it's not actually black. Here's a good shot showing the actual colors in his costume.

Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

What do you use for a lightsaber?  I was thinking of a random Grab Bag dueling saber from Ultimatesabers.com or Force FX saber with a removable blade.

Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

I have 3 Lightsabers. Once is a Graflex 3 Cell exact replica of Luke's saber from EP IV. I got the parts and made it myself but it has no electronics. It's just a prop for wearing.

I have a custom saber that you see on the right of the picture. It's made from parts from the Custom Saber Shop. I had them custom build me some parts like the crystal chamber. The electronics were done by a friend of mine. 

The other saber is an Anakin Ep III FX saber. It actually have a fixed blade but I had a conversion kit installed and upgraded the LED. Probably the cheapest way to go and to get an Anakin style saber is to just get an FX saber with the removable blade. I think those are in the $150-$200 range. Just make sure it's the removable blade. I made the mistake of buying mine and not noticing that it was the fixed blade style.

Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Very cool, I ordered a grab bag saber from www.ultimatesabers.com  I spent the extra $20 to make sure it will be a Blue, Heavy grade saber in case I want to duel with it down the road.  It won't have sound right away but if I like it I know enough about electronics I can add it on.  

I'm new to the hobby with a limited budget so this seems like the most bang for the buck at this time.  If I get into the hobby more I would build more custom saber with all the bells and whistles.  Thanks for your insight with everything, I really appreciate it and will post pics of the two of us when the costumes are done.

Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

Awesome, can't wait for the pics. Yeah it can be an expensive hobby. I did that with my Renaissance outfit. I started with a sword and then some plain generic pants and a shirt. I wore some combat boots I had. Over time I slowly added pieces here and there. You can do the same thing with your Jedi. You can also start on the cheap now and then slowly upgrade as you have the funds. I know I am constantly tweaking my stuff.

Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

Ended up with a Dark Liberator V3.  Its pretty badass.  Now I need to kind a kendo dojo or a Medieval sparring guild to join. 

Huvey Skirtstalker

I love you guys. 

Im gonna be a Karate-kid inspired Cobra Kai-skeleton on halloween this year. Cobra Kai has kinda been our theme since fresher week. Whenever there is an event (Beer-pong tournament, quizbattles etc), we allways sign up as cobra kai.

P-Rife
PolishRifle
Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

We love you too Huvey, you need to get back in game!  A recent Emote is Clawbird Kick, I love finding random pillars to stand on and get my Karate Kid on.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Is it really cosplay during Halloween?  isn't it just Halloween costume-ing?  

It's not cosplay if you wear it every day. What do you think I wear when I play SWTOR? wink

Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I guess technically it should be Halloween/Cosplay question.

Gryffon Etheras
travisccook
Tech Officer

Awarded:

When you build a badass costume, you want to wear it more than once a year. I do charity events as a Ghostbuster several times a year. Making money for good causes and gettin' my nerd on combined.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: