View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Wylan
jpotter56
Veteran

Awarded:

re: Going to buy new Cell phone, which is the best?

Ummm... Android is based on a linux kernel Blast.

Member - 5 Years

Awarded:

I like my 2013 Moto X because its was as close to a "pure" android phone as I could find.  Sprint had a few pieces of bloat on it but for the most part its clean so you can customize it yourself.  I've received regular OS updates and am currently on Android 4.4.4

I set my background to a pure black screen which really improves battery life on my phone.

Blasthardcheese
Blast Hardcheese
Member - 4 Years

/soul wrote:
RebuiltHK47 wrote:

I had considered the MotoX too. But the OS won't be supported for much longer (if it still is) and it doesn't have the Gorilla Glass. 

It's all about Sapphire glass now!  Hope that starts coming out soon in phones.  The Android OS will be supported for awhile, why would Google drop support for Android OS?

I know. I read about the Sapphire glass and I was like "Impressive. Most impressive".

I don't mean the OS entirely. They stop supporting the OS on older devices, mostly because of the hardware not being able to read or use it. My last phone didn't have an Android OS higher than Android 2.2.

Since Raptr was installed.
Blasthardcheese
Blast Hardcheese
Member - 4 Years

jpotter56 wrote:

Ummm... Android is based on a linux kernel Blast.

Oh right. WOW. Hur dur. I are fail. I'm going to go home and rethink my life.

Soulless
/soul
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

the 2013 Moto X will get Android L this fall, but after that yes it will require a phone upgrade to get the next versions. Android L is going to be really really nice.

My biggest pet peeve with android phones was buying a new one and having it only recieve some of the available os upgrades over the time I had it. IF it received one at all, it was always after asignificant amount if time had passed from the release of the os to when the carrier pushed it out. 

Soulless
/soul
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

Yep, thats why I have tried to avoid Samsung and HTC.  They are very slow.  I went with the vanilla stock Moto X for fast updates and a pure Android experience and it has been nice, but I don't think I want to upgrade to the new Moto X.  It hasn't done enough to "wow" me.

/soul wrote:

the 2013 Moto X will get Android L this fall, but after that yes it will require a phone upgrade to get the next versions. Android L is going to be really really nice.

I'm looking forward to it. Because I have the Nexus 5, I could get the second beta preview of L released in August.

TheManOfWisdom

Wow this seems to be a hot topic. I'm going with the s5, thanks for the reassuring comments about the phone?

Soulless
/soul
Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

Nice Choice, S5 will definitely be a powerhouse phone with a great battery.

Awarded:

I plan to root my G3 when I get it and then I install the updates when I want to... mot when the company decides that they have crammed enough garbage in to it to be acceptable to the casuals.

Member - 4 Years

Awesome Mr. Man. Enjoy your new phone.

Also soul, two words against the iPhone6: Bendy phone.

Yet another example of the company not only ignoring its customers, but also selling a very cheaply constructed device at overly inflated prices.

I have yet to hear of an Android phone that bends to a 30° angle just by being in the front pocket in regular jeans while the user is standing in line.

Lohgan
Kod1ak
Member - 4 Years

You won't be disappointed with the S5. With light use...I can go a couple days without charging. With pretty moderate use...I can easily make it 15-20 hours before I have to charge. Typically when I get home from work and go to bed, my phone has been off the charger for over 12 hours and it's around 60-70% battery left. Today...I haven't used it a ton and after 8 hours off the charger...I have 90% battery left.

Member - 4 Years

Awarded:

jpotter56 wrote:

I plan to root my G3 when I get it and then I install the updates when I want to... mot when the company decides that they have crammed enough garbage in to it to be acceptable to the casuals.

Before getting the G3, wait for the Note 4 to come out so you can compare, just in case.  If you can wait.  I found that comparing the G3 to the HTC One M8 was very valuable. Reviewers/bloggers love the HTC One M8 for it's build quality, speakers (who the hell cares, we all use earbuds???), screen, and OS.  Moment I compared G3 to M8, I noticed the M8 had way way too much padding in all it's ui design and took up so much unnecessary space.  G3 stood out much farther.  I think I want to wait to compare Note 4 with G3 and iPhone 6 Plus.

As far as "Bend Gate"? A few reports so far among 10 million phones sold, a video of a guy purposely bending the phone, I'm very careful with my phones.  I don't wear skinny jeans cause I'm not skinny, I'll be okay if I choce iPhone 6 Plus.  Additionally, I actually bother to use cases which will help protect.  Yes Apple did not use magnesium in it's case so it's more susseptable to bending under prolonged stress, and yes they should ahve made it a bit thicker.  This is definitely playing into my own decision making in the future between G3, Note 4, or iPhone 6 Plus.  I may even deside "eff it" and just upgrade to Android L on Moto X and wait out to the next wave of phones.

I just ordered my new phone. It was a great time telling them my billing zip-code is in Michigan, my current zip-code is German, my shipping zip-code is in Florida and my new residence zip is in Georgia. That was a very confusing order for Verizon.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> Gaming and Tech All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: