Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> World of Warcraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nylos Aurion

re: WoW Chapter

I definitely think switching over fully to discord is the better way to go.  Discord has chat features similar to groupme and the ability to make multiple chat and voip channels with varying degrees of permissions.  On top of that, their mobile app is spot on as well.  It's just an all-encompassing program and it makes much more sense to have one singular app for text and voice chat, both of which can be accessed on mobile.  It's also becoming the go-to program for PUGs, meaning when we pad our group with other players they'll be much more receptive to using Discord over TS.  As a side note, there are servers specifically for WoW classes (the paladin discord is great) where class discussion can take place with thousands of people, as well as other topics.

I think we need to have an open discussion on how exactly the WoW chapter is going to function.  I think we need to shift gears a little bit and focus on getting quality raiders and build a community out of that rather than looking for good community members.  The WoW and SWTOR chapters will probably be run very differently and the people that exclusively play SWTOR or WoW probably will never interact on any level.  

WoW players looking for a guild are looking for a good static raid group, not to have a community, and we'll have a lot better luck getting good players if we advertise as such.  I think the application process - at the very least for the WoW side - needs to be reworked, but I could write an essay on that so I'll leave it as that.  I've seen many a guild that focuses on community break apart due to not progressing and some of the best guilds I've been in have been hand picked raiders who formed awesome friendships.  

WoW is a different animal than SWTOR is by far and, if I may be totally honest, a lot of the hand-holding and allowance of bad will have to stop if we want to raid in any sort of serious capacity.  I already said in one of my other posts mythics are totally out of the question, but even normal and heroic raiding requires competency.  If frost is the worst spec for a mage we can't be attacking people trying to tell someone that, the mage needs to change specs for the betterment of the group.  Raid spots are going to need to be given out based on merit, not guild status.

I know I have a different outlook on guilds/raiding than some people in the guild do, and I'm not trying to hide that at all.  It came to a head once in SWTOR and we all know what happened.  However, I've been a member, raider leader, recruitment officer, and guild leader of very successful raid guilds in WoW.  We can clear normals, we can clear heroics, that much is a given, but some concessions are going to have to be made until we get to that point.

tl;dr:  I think what everyone wants is a stable roster of people to play with that aren't total dicks.  When we have that stable roster, we continue to build our community off that foundation.  Doing so backwards won't work.

As I said, this is obviously a big discussion.  I'd like to get into whatever voip program we decide upon (should totes be discord just saiyan) and have a meeting about it.  I see a lot of room for improvement and I want to see Pax succeed as much as anyone, but as I said I think we're gonna need to make some changes to fit in with the WoW meta.

Avellyn
Avellyn!!
Member - 6 Months

I dunno how much weight my opinion holds, but as a long time WoW player, I definitely prefer Discord over TS. I agree a stable roster should be the foundation of what the guild grows to be in WoW. I have found in you all a very solid, great group of people and I am glad that it has carried over beyond SWTOR. I wouldn't have rolled alliance for any other group of people.

Tiffs/Hugtastic
Officer

I have always had respect for you from long ago and understand where you are coming from with all this! I do think before we come to any conclusion that maybe we should hold another guild meeting and get everyone ideas at once!  :)   In the end we all do need to be in the same speak no matter what game we are playing! Spreading out into different speaks is dividing the guild up and that is something that worried us from the beginning when we all voted to be a multi -guild! 

Awarded:

I'm ok with the guild moving to discord, it's a good program.  I'd like us all to just be on the same one, so perhaps someone could post our Discord information that you've been using, some of us can check it out, then we can just make a move over there?

I think we need to be cautious about the WoW chapter being too different than the SWTOR chapter.  We will essentially have two different guilds if that happens, and I don't want that.  Now, that being said, we were very successful in raiding in SWTOR with the set up we had.  Feel free to invite and recruit good raiders into an initiate rank first if they don't want to do an application right away.  But yes, if they are to hold any actual rank or priviledge with us, and be apart of our larger community, they will do a short application.  I have made it very easy and short at this point.  

It may scare some people, but you can have your cake and eat it too.  Meaning you can seek strong, skilled players, that are also not dicks and want to be apart of a real guild that makes them apply to weed out the dicks.  So it can work, you just have to have faith in the system.  Leadership trickles down.  If you are leading the efforts and believe in the system, people will follow your example.  If anyone needs me to teach them the system that has worked for 7 years, please I urge you to talk with me in Discord or TS and I'll explain why it works.  Think of the military.  They work well because they look for the best of the best, and also make them go through a boot camp... a shared experience that tests them on their character and their skills.

SO overall I think I want to see WoW grow but not diverge too much from our overall philosophies, ok?  AT THE SAME TIME I understand the WoW meta is different from any other meta and I am open to proposed changes!  Thank you for sparking this discussion Nylos, if you have official suggestions please let me know what you would change and how we'd make it work.  I am very open to change I hope you know, I just want us to maintain our family friendly atmosphere, our comfort level we all have with each other.

Awarded:

addition:  agreed that at a certain level of raiding, you can't hand hold.  You can require people to change a spec if it really is a detriment to the team... just do it nicely and privately.  Or make a thread post about what specs are unviable so don't show up with those.

I'm totes down for the whole 'be excellent to eachother'  ideal of Pax.  It's incredibly refreshing to be a part of this kind of community as opposed to the toxicity of the general population.  I definitely didn't want to come off as too hostile with this and I'm glad no one took it that way, and it's really refreshing to see the hailing frequencies open on both sides, so to speak. 

The few changes I'd like to see to the application involve either posted logs, UI screenshot, list of addons, armory links, etc, but that can be committeed together at a later date.  It's also very good to hear you'd be willing for us to find people and then have them apply, that makes it quite a bit easier.

I actually find teaching people how to make the most out of their character incredibly fun and rewarding because I remember when the gears aligned for me way back when and I started topping charts.  As far as unviable specs goes, there would need to be quite a bit of research on my part to make an all-encompassing list mainly because there's so many.  There is an optimal artifact-trait unlock path for every class, as well as an optimal talent setup.

You can unlock all artifact weapons at level 102 after doing the quests for them, so I'd say play what you want leveling up and then find me or Morov to help you fine-tune a raid spec.

I'm also going to compile a list of required/recommended addons, specifically ones like Deadly Boss Mods which are nearly vital for raiding.  I'll help anyone who needs assistance getting them set up as well.

Discord Link:
https://discord.gg/FRdrD9g

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> World of Warcraft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: