Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> World of Warcraft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ciervo Wylde
Officer

Awarded:

re: WoW addons and UI recommendations

The last few days several of us have been discussing addons and UIs that make the game easier and more fun, as well as required addons for raids and such.  Please post your favorites here and lets see if we can come up with some ideas on a Pax Republica Addon Pack to make it easier for new members to join us in Dungeons and Raids. 

From playing I've the last several years I have had the chance to mess around with a lot of the different options. My current UI setup leverages ELVUI with some overlay extras that help with raiding etc

Add-ons

• ELVUI is a  all in one UI option that allows you to customize bar locations/size/keybinds etc. As a default it appears a lot like the advanced option from SWTOR
  • Deadly boss mods is essential for any raider as it has alerting/timers for the majority of the game 
  • Skada/recount as a damage parser
  • Nugnug combat bar is a small utility UI that displays your buildable resources like chi/combo points/shadow orbs/holy power

I'll look over my UI again when I'm home next and update if I missed anything but this is a good barebones place to start

Nylos Aurion

The addons I use, in no particular order:

Auctioneer - an awesome tool that scans and records pricing trends on the auction house and also makes the auction UI a bit more user-friendly.

Bad Pet - whispers hunters and warlocks when their pet has taunt on; great for tanks.

Block Chinese - the Chinese font in this game is a lot bigger than normal text, and I'm used to servers with high Chinese population spamming trade chat.  This blocks all Chinese text/posts; not like you can read it anyway.

Clique - click-casting interface that can go with most raid frames.  I actually prefer Vuhdo for healing but haven't set it up on my new computer yet.  Custom raid frames + click casting + healing = easy mode.

Master Plan - Garrison addon for missions and ship missions; auto-picks the best follower combos.

Handy Notes - map markers for Draenor treasures, incredibly useful.

OPie - INCREDIBLY useful raid marker addon.  Brings up a circular menu when a hotkey is pressed for ground and target markers.

Postal - like, THE mail mod.  Auto open, delete all checked, etc.

ElvUI - my UI package of choice.  There are a lot of UI packages TukUI, RealUI, LUI, etc, and in my opinion they're a lot better than totally self-made UIs.  They usually take up a lot less memory and don't bog down the client as much.  I can help anyone customize their UI to their liking either way.

DBM - Deadly Boss Mods.  If there is one mod we require it should be DBM, hands down.  WoW is pretty good at announcing mechanics during fights, but DBM takes it to the next level by adding in timers and countdowns for raid-wiping abilities or phase switches.  This is a MUST-HAVE.

Weakauras2 - Buff monitor system; it's a bit complicated to get going but once you get it working it's amazing.  

Tell Me When - Similar to Weakauras, lets you know when things happen.  Can use it for cooldowns or procs.

Need to Know - Similar and a little bit easier to use than Weakauras, but less customizable.  Basically puts bars in where you can monitor cooldowns, buffs, enemy debuffs, etc.

Skada - Damage meter, healing meter, threat meter, everything meter.  I personally think it's better than recount, however it takes a little bit more to set up correctly.  Either way, having a DPS or healing meter is good to gauge your skill and improvement with more gear/more refined rotation.

This is a small list, but what I've been using for awhile. 

Ciervo Wylde
Officer

Awarded:

An important one I see missing is

GTFO - Lets you know that you are standing in fire, poison, acid, etc.

Heh, was going to add GTFO to my updated list for new encounter, just can't scare the crap out of you if you don't set it up before hand :)

Masterplan/Weakauras/Tell Me When/Handy Notes are in my default UI setup as well.

Nylos Aurion

GTFO is great I think if you really have a problem with it (I installed it for my girlfriend for example) but if you're using DBM and have it set up properly it can basically do the same thing.

Either way, a "get out of bad stuff" addon is great no matter what you use.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

part of me doesn't like that wow basically babies you through the game with these add-ons that tell you what to do!

It's not so much that they tell you what to do (really GTFO is the only one that does that) but it helps manage a LOT of information in a more easy to digest way.  The harder raid fights can be incredibly chaotic, and focusing on your DPS rotation and trying to remember when X boss ability is going to go off or when Y adds are gonna spawn or when Z spell is being cast by Y add and you have to interrupt it is near impossible, which is one of many reasons why DBM is so good.  You may see it as babying, but when the top end guilds use these addons and still spend hours upon days upon weeks trying to kill the cutting-edge content it kind of puts it into perspective of how useful they can be.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

good point!  No, the more I think of it, I don't mind it.  It's just so differnet from what I'm used to with LOTRO and SWTOR raiding.  I guess WoW you have to see these addons like tools necessary for use... Like football players using sticky catching gloves or goalies like me making my pads and equipment as big as allowed, you have to use all your tools to your advantage!

Yeah I can vouch. WoW gets a bad rep for being too easy or dumbed down for their LFR content, but if you're doing anything above that, some of those addons are necessary to process some of those fights. WoWs raiddev team doesn't play and even on normal with level appropriate gear the fights are still reasonable challenging. 

Jump to: