Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crox Rava

re: Asteroid Blues

Prelude. Pax Republica flagship.

"Vasarian Brandy. The bottle, if you please."

"Peacekeeper Crox Rava identified." *bee-boo-boo-beep* "I am sorry, Peacekeeper. I have been informed that you are scheduled for active duty within the next cycle. As such, I am able to offer you two standard-proof beverages at maximum. Will you have ice?"

The droid barkeep had already dispensed Crox's brandy into a small whiskey glass from a nozzle which protruded from its left index finger. Crox's translucent eyelids clapped twice, audibly. The droid's servos hummed gently as it cocked its head to the side, patiently awaiting his response. The mess hall was empty, most of the lights had been dimmed for the evening. Aima had left for his quarters only a few minutes ago, his cigarra smoke still clinging to the rack of red and blue-tinted lights above the bar. It stung Crox's eyes a bit, but the sweet stench was a comfort all the same.

"No ice," he managed, finally.

"Very well, sir. Will you have another? I am authorized to pour a second glass for crewmen who wish to remain in the mess after last call, but I am scheduled to power down in four minutes." Crox nodded, and the droid produced a second glass before filling it likewise with brandy. "May I power down for the night, sir?"

"Sure, Hookie. Sleep tight."

"Very well, sir. Thank you, sir." With this, the droid shuffled to the back wall and settled gently into its recharging station. Its head lowered and its eyes went dark.

Crox had never before felt envy for a droid.

The Nautolan sat in silence, staring at the surface of the golden liquor where it sat on the bar before him. His chin rested in the palm of his right hand, his left hand lazily twisting the silver ring on his little finger. The aroma of the brandy filled up his senses. His large black eyes listed in his head. His blue head-tendrils gently swayed with memory. He didn't turn around when the door opened, though he recognized the easy tromp of bantha-skinned boots as they moseyed up to the bar a couple of seats down.

"I see I missed last call. You gonna keep all that fancy hooch for yerself, Blue?"

Crox let a smile escape his melancholy face, and he slid his glass down to Finx. "Paperwork again?"

"Hah! No, no. Bubbles wouldn't let me outta the room. All that time shruggin' me off and now she can't get enough of..." Finx trailed off as Crox lolled his head in a sidelong smirk. "... YES, karking paperwork again. And yes, Bubbles would still sooner kiss a Wookie. Happy now?"

"You keep letting those chops of yours go and you might get lucky."

Finx chuckled and shook his head. Then he raised his glass. "To respectability, and dyin' from paper cuts instead of blaster bolts."

"To being the good guys..." Crox lifted his glass an inch or two before taking a long sip. Finx's brandy vanished down his throat in one loud gulp. "Well that sure takes me back. And do I hear right? You're flyin' out with Aima in the morning?"

"That's right."

"Didn't he shoot you one time?"

"He did a bit, at that. But he's playing for Pax now. That's all air through the engine." Crox's countenance had begun to droop as the spirits danced across his tongue. Vasarian brandy. Thatch's favorite. He'd been drinking it that night at Orta's. Shan'in...

Forum Image

"Hey now, don't go all spicy on me, Crox." The Nautolan turned away, gazing out the window at the surface of the small moon they were orbiting.

"Air through the engine, my ass..." Finx muttered. They sat quietly for a moment, Crox frowning at the moon, Finx at his empty glass. "Well, this just won't do." The human hurdled the bar with a flourish of his long coat, whipped a long knife out of his boot, and deftly popped open the front panel on the torso of the sleeping droid. A few seconds and a few twists of the knife later, and he turned back to the bar and refilled Crox's glass with the now-liberated bottle of Vasarian brandy.

"Let's hug it out, Blue. Come on."

Crox let out a long sigh. "There's not much to say, Finx. She's gone. She left, and I can't honestly say that I blame her." He stared at his drink a moment, then snatched it up and downed it. He'd hardly sat it down before Finx poured him another. Not a drop spilled.

"I tell ya, you oughta just go find her and talk to her. Or else hit her with that awful man-stink of yours and be done with it. If I could pull that stunt, I'd get a lot less slap and a lot more tickle, if ya read me." Crox was quiet. He was worse off than Finx had realized. The Nautolan rose sullenly from his seat and retrieved Finx's glass from the bar to top it off. "It's not true, really. Her leaving, I mean. To be perfectly honest... I'm the one who left, long before she packed her bags for Coruscant." He slid the refill to Finx. "She loves me. Right now. She tried so hard to be stony about leaving, but..." Crox tapped a finger on the tip of his nose. "... I knew better. And I couldn't open my mouth because I didn't know what to say."

"Consul's gotta see that, Crox. I feel like I can read ya pretty good, and the Jedi sure as shootin' know you're not fit for duty in this state. I'll call Damek right now. They can find somebody else to-"

"I volunteered."

Finx swallowed hard, staring, then sat down. "Well don't forget to write, Crox. Mind your manners. Don't get yourself ruttin' murdered out there. Or is that the point?" He spun his seat to face the wall and lifted his glass nearly to his mouth, scowling.

Crox opened his mouth to argue, then fell silent. "Just give her that, will you?" With that he headed for the door.

"Give her what, Blue?" Finx growled over his shoulder. Crox made no reply as he exited the mess hall. Finx shook his head. His buddy was cracked. Another casualty of love, like he'd gone completely off the edge. Finx drained his glass, intending to go ahead and empty the bottle.

*clink*

Something small and metallic had bumped his tooth. There in the glass lay a delicate ring, a simple amber stone set in a simple hoop of silver. Finx ran a hand across his scrubbed chin, then gently poured the little ring out into his palm. He slipped it into his shirt pocket.

"Damn you, Crox..."

Photobucket
Captain Bubbles

You're writing your smuggler all sad, like you really miss him *nod - we miss you too. I hope you continue the story, I've been curious since you started writing in the Cantina, about your Twi'Lek friend. And you're right, Wookiee > Finx! *wink =)

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
Zoron Ror

Really well-written, the atmosphere and the droid interaction feels very much star warsy. I like how you involved other members. I hope you write about some missions you've been on.

I already told you I thought it was fantastic :D But here it is in typing for you to look at.
Crox Rava

Captain Bubbles wrote:
You're writing your smuggler all sad, like you really miss him *nod - we miss you too. I hope you continue the story, I've been curious since you started writing in the Cantina, about your Twi'Lek friend. And you're right, Wookiee > Finx! *wink =)

Hehehe. I wrote this before the class change, just so you know. >.>

Look for the next installment after Finders Keepers ends.

Photobucket
Captain Bubbles

^^ tsk tsk, denial... It's ok Crox, sshhhh, everything will be alright *hugs

Before you criticize someone, try to put yourself on their ship and fly around a while. That way, when you criticize them, you're a few parsecs away and you have their ship.
Areku99

Liked it! Happy

Really well written, I've read published books that don't flow as smoothly as your RP posts. Do you have alot of experience doing creative writing outside of a hobby? Can't wait to get in on the fun!!

IgotRocks wrote:
Really well written, I've read published books that don't flow as smoothly as your RP posts. Do you have alot of experience doing creative writing outside of a hobby? Can't wait to get in on the fun!!

None whatsoever. I've written many character origins and I took a creative writing class in high school, and I've read a lot of books. I go for a sort of cinematic style, and pacing and flow are very important to me when I'm reading, so I try to keep my work nice and fluid. I'm glad you liked it!

Photobucket
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: