Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pax Republica
Admin Account

re: PBP Rules and Guidelines

This information has been modified from various PBP communities around the Internet, especially from the contributions of a former member.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Play-By-Posts - Also known as PBPs. PBPs are exactly as they sound. The participants act out a story through their posts. Most of the time, the PBP Leader has some sort of goal in mind or some kind of conflict that needs to be solved, but other times the players just post and make their own conflicts. In PBPs, there is usually some sort of sign-ups, where the participants fill out some kind of form for their character. It is important to fill out your application as well as you can, that way people have a good idea of what your character is like and what his appearance is. After the sign-ups are over, the PBP Master will probably make the first post, outlining the back story and maybe even starting the conflict. (Note: In our PBPs, things will generally start slow, so people can establish their characters' personalities before we start the fighting.) After that, you are free to start posting. But you can't post whatever you want, there are some rules that must be followed.

OOC Thread - Instead of doing OOC within the PBP, we will make a thread dedicated to each PBP so something like Chapter 1: Intro OOC, this is where you can discuss things with the other members so that the actual PBP remains in character the entire time.

* No Godmoding!

No Godmoding in any Role play unless the creator and/or the character's creator gives permission. Most people hate the thought of other players speaking for their own character(s). So remember that a PM is an RPer's best friend when making a new post.

* Godmoding is forcing any unintended action upon a character not controlled by you. Examples include:
* Having other's attacks miss all the time.
* Doing literally anything without breaking a sweat. (all attacks miss, all attacks hit)
* Speaking for a character that is not yours.
* Controlling another person's character.
* These are only a few examples of Godmoding.
Remember, Godmoding is frowned upon!

* Stay Active!

* Only join the PBP if your are going to be serious about it, if you do not think you can participate, then please choose a less-important role.
* You must play through an PBP completely! Abandoning a PBP is treason! You must close your character's story yourself, or the PBP members will have free grabs to do with your character as he/she wants.

* 4-Sentence/6 Line Rule

* You must do at least 4 sentences OR 6 lines of text in your post. If you do both, that's great, but just go towards getting one. (heck go for 10 lines of text!)

* PBP Guidelines

* All PBP members are Required to have:
* A Character Sign up Sheet
* A Back story (A story that leads up to the PBP's present) this lets all members know your character a little better. Overall making the PBP go smoother. I think a minimum of a paragraph is fair, though the last story I wrote was about 5 pages lol.
* You must post at least 4 sentences or 6 lines of text in your post (count them in your posting window).
*Always stay in-character in a PBP. In-character means posting from your character point of view.
* NO double posting is allowed (This will greatly cut back the pages of PBPs) (Use the edit button!)
* If you MUST post something shorter, please acknowledge and or apologize for the short post. (Quality of posts is better than the Quantity of posts)
* Try to be grammatically correct and with your highest possible spelling in your posts, this will stop confusion, and let the PBP run smoother (and stop people from asking what you said)
We will understand if you are not familiar with a language's grammar, however if you are continually posting "i hit u" and "my char wanT 2 Beat u up!" then we're going to take action.
* To help in your correcting, use programs such as Microsoft Word to correct your Spelling and most of your grammar!
(Trust me, the grammar part of Word is NOT the best thing to rely on, I have constantly found times where 'Word' has had my sentences saying stuff like "Which made he sound invincible")
* Also, try to explain as clearly as possible to avoid confusion, if your character is talking, say who you're directing it to, especially when you're near or at a point of at least 2 characters joining another group
* Forcibly taking the center of attention may make the PBP turn in a direction the PBP creator did not intend.
* The PBP Creator will GIVE permission for your character to be the center of attention. Asking for it will just get him/her mad at you.
* All PBPs are for the members enjoyment.

Perspective - A major problem people have and puts people off sometimes role playing or writing there story. They don't know whether to write in first person or third person and sometimes they choose one and end up using the other in their post which then confuses members. There is technique most authors use, and that is switch between the two. This can be done, and done well if you know how to use it. Other than that the easiest is by how people write, mostly it's done in third person. That being said first person is also a lot of fun to write in.

The Slapdash Character - Try to spend a decent length of time writing a new character. Try to take at LEAST 15-20 minutes. Believe me, a hastily-thrown together character shows, and they aren't much fun to RP as or with. If you're reusing a character, modifying them to the RP is an obvious move, but also try to correct the things you found made them less fun to play as in previous RPs.

We usually have every character have their own color font for when they are talking.

Have Fun - Having Fun with role play and story's, etc. is where the most satisfaction comes from.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

New thread made for this and rules/guidelines re-posted under our Admin account since the former guidelines were posted by a member that was removed.

Please post if you guys think any of these guidelines are wrong or outdated with the actual practices of this community. Thanks!

Nwahs Nirom wrote:
New thread made for this and rules/guidelines re-posted under our Admin account since the former guidelines were posted by a member that was removed.

Please post if you guys think any of these guidelines are wrong or outdated with the actual practices of this community. Thanks!

This is old. We use our own color. Everyone chooses waht tehy want. ANd then we add He, (Character name) or something else.
Quote:
We also like to color quotes to organize a bit, for the following reasons:

1. Liven our RPs up
2. So people can have an easier time figuring out whom is interacting with whom and
3. Colors represent the way characters may view other people. I'll explain:

Green-Ally
Orange-Neutral
Red-Enemy

Blue is what I used for my character in my previous PBPs, but I need your opinion on this matter, really it doesn't matter to me if we use it or not. I just think it makes it a little better.

Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

Updated, thank you Kryad

I'm actually working on a fully redone version atm. I guess I'll just pm it to someone when it's done? To you Shawn? It's set up to be multiple posts for ease of editing later.
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: