Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pax Republica Forum Index -> RP and Character Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nwahs
Officer

Awarded:

re: The Galactic Standard Calendar, mapped to an Earth calendar

So I wanted to be able to take my birthday of November 12 and see what day that would fall on Coruscant's calendar, the Galactic Standard Calendar for the Star Wars galaxy.

We have this information to go off of:

The calendar was based on the size and rotation of the planet Coruscant. It was a luno-solar calendar based both on Coruscant's orbit around its sun, and the orbit of its primary satellite Centax-1. The standard unit of time was the standard second. Sixty standard seconds made up each standard minute, and sixty minutes made up each standard hour. Each day consisted of 24 standard hours. A standard week was 5 standard days, and each month was seven weeks. (Making 35 standard days each month.) A standard year was 368 days, composed of ten months, three fete weeks, and three holidays. As the Hyperdrive Theory allowed space travelers to bypass relativity, a single duration of time passed at all locations equally over a given interval.[source?]

In the galaxy:

60 seconds = 1 minute
60 minutes = 1 hour
24 hours = 1 day
5 days = 1 week
7 weeks = 1 month
35 days = 1 month
368 days = 1 year
10 months + 3 festival weeks + 3 holidays = 1 year

Days of the week
Primeday
Centaxday
Taungsday
Zhellday
Benduday

-----------------------------

Unfortunately, there is no information on what the names of the months are called, but we do know that in the nearby system of Tapani they have names of the months, and that system is used around the Core.

The names of their months are

Elona, Kelona, Selona, Telona, Nelona, Helona, Melona, Yelona, Relona, and Welona. Again these names do not apply to the whole galaxy. I'm not even sure what planets they definitely apply to.

We also don't know when in the year those three holidays fall. Without that information I can't create a 100% accurate conversion chart for the Earth-Coruscant calendar. However, this is what I have so far. Remember that months are made up of 7 weeks that are 5 days long. Apparently in Star Wars there is no such thing as a weekend :P (At least not on core worlds... remember that this is the Galactic Standard Calendar which gives the Galactic standard time, but most likely every single planet will have a local calendar and clock based on their planet's orbital properties, and they may even have their own culture's thrown in to have a "weekend").

Galactic Standard Calendar, ignoring the 3 holidays for now
- New Year Festival: Jan 1 - Jan 5
- 1st Month: Jan 6 - Feb 9
- 2nd Month: Feb 10 - Mar 16
- 3rd Month: Mar 17 - Apr 20
- 4th Month: Apr 21 - May 25
- 5th Month: May 26 - June 29
- 6th Month: June 30 - Aug 3
- Festival of Life: Aug 4 - Aug 8
- 7th Month: Aug 9 - Sept 12
- 8th Month: Sept 13 - Oct 17
- 9th Month: Oct 18 - Nov 21
- Festival of the Stars: Nov 22 - Nov 26
- 10th Month: Nov 27 - Dec 31

Again, this ignores the "three holidays" that apparently the entire galaxy celebrates together.

So, November 12 corresponds to the 26th day of the 9th month on the Galactic Standard Calendar. If this was on Tapani I might say it's Relona 9th. You can count out other dates. The funny thing is how would you say a date that happens in the middle of a Festival Week? If your birthday was in the middle of a Festival week, would you just have to remember it's the 3rd day of the Festival of the Stars?

Also note that there are no leap years on Coruscant. So if you try to convert February 29 to Star Wars time you can't do it.

Last edited by Nwahs on September 7, 2011 2:14 pm; edited 3 times in total

Very cool. I like the days of the week-I wish we could have cool names :P

Zoron Ror

So...my birthday is Selona 6th on Primeday, very cool. When the game comes out you will have to find out the star wars date as it will be everyones birthday. wink

Awarded:

Legendkiller456 wrote:
Very cool. I like the days of the week-I wish we could have cool names :P

They only seem cool because they are different and your brain is just totally sick of the names of our days of the week. If you told the names of our months and days to a Coruscant citizen he'd probably think it's cool.

Heck, I bet if you took the names of days of the week of pretty much any foreign country you'd find them more fascinating than ours, just because of the psychology behind it Happy

Awesome.. but you have way to much time on your hands :P

Jump to: